Thursday, March 29, 2012

Backpacking in La Jolla Valley...

I was itching to get out of the house and sleep outside and came across this hike near Point Mugu just north of Malibu...


So my buddy Mike and I went for a hike.


I wanted to follow the same path the link shows, but once we got there and found out how long and steep the trail was, we opted for the easy and more direct route. And  I'm glad we did! 
The first half of the trail was very typical of Southern California desert. Very dry and Rocky...


Of course there is beauty even in the desert. Not sure what these are called, but in my imagination they remind me of "Lorax Trees" from Dr. Seuss.


I was feeling pretty disappointed by the scenery and the fact that I was struggling so much because of how out of shape I am. Mike was doing great even though he was carrying at least ten pounds more than me.


Most of the trail is a single wide rocky path...


There was little shade along the route...


Once we reached the top, it was nice to be able to walk along a fire road to the campsites. At first I didn't care for the sites, but they were very secluded and afforded us some privacy from the Boy Scouts who were also camping in the area.


Once we were set up in the campsite, we took a walk and found that it was really nice up there in the valley. There were a few square miles of beautiful grassland...


There was a fire road running right through the middle of it. Next time we may do this as a bike camping trip.


In the evening, the coyotes started to yip and howl. And during the night a wild pig came nosing around through camp. Overall, it was a great trip with new and wonderful experiences.
Another great time with a great friend!


We took the coast home for a nice road trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment